Buy peaceful toys for the holidays
GATHER ON SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 21 FROM 10 A.M. TO NOON
ON THE SIDEWALK OF HILTON HEIGHTS ROAD (NEXT TO WALMART)
In an effort to promote peace, CCPJ is sponsoring a demonstration for giving peaceful toys and gifts to children and not giving war toys. Our world has too much violence and war for us to teach violent behavior to our young ones through children’s toys and games.
Using weapons of military equipment and other weapons as children’s toys glorifies violence and suggests to children that:
· War is a game, and an exciting adventure
· Killing is acceptable, and even fun
· Violence or the threat of violence is the way to resolve conflicts
· "Bad guys" are worthless, and their destruction is good
· Weapons are a means for achieving power over others, and are the best way to deal with an opponent
These are harmful ideas and should not be promoted, especially in the holiday season of peace and joy.
Out of thirteen studies conducted in the U.S. on war toys, twelve found harmful increases in both verbal and physical violence to other children. An additional thirty-four studies have been completed on violent cartoons on normal children in the US and six other countries. Thirty-one of the studies report at least some harmful effects.
(http://encyclopedia.uia.org/en/problem/140724 Date of last update: 9.25.2019 )